Preserving the Past for the Future!

The Helen Black Miller Chapel
is available for rent to the public.
Contact us for more information.
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Saturday
11 AM - 4 PM
Closed Sunday, Monday, and most major holidays.
Phone: 724-662-3490
Email: info@mchsofpa.org
Website: www.mchsofpa.org
_JPG.jpg)
119 S. Pitt St.
Mercer, PA 16137
Come inside our museum and discover the past
which built our future!
The Uber Travelers Hotel was built by descendents of original settlers who arrived in Liberty Towhship in 1797.



Mural on the outside of GCHS Museum
The building was bought by John Trepasso when he returned home from WWII. Over the years it housed a doctors office, photography studio, visiting parents of Grove City College students and hotel guests. The Trepasso family had many, many visitors for whom they cooked, played with and otherwise enjoyed life in this "family home".
The central focus of this room is the mail wagon owned by R. Hood Reynolds, a Grove City rural mail carrier; it is believed to be one of the last in existence in Pennsylvania. For Reynolds to drive his route of 28 miles, six days a week, whether rain, sleet, or snow, he was paid $100, and he had to maintain the wagon he owned and the 3 horses he kept available to drive it. The wagon, donated by the Reynolds Family, was restored by Uri Byler who discovered its original green color during the restoration. The rest of the contents of the Mail Room serve to enhance what the post office has meant to the community over the years and the many personnel that have been a part of the history of postal services in Grove City.


Walk a little further beyond the Mail Room and enjoy the coal mining display, the labor for which was donated by the Randy Voltz family in memory of James F. Dunkerley, an early coal miner. Coal mining was very important in the development of the Grove City area as immigrants to the area found work in this dangerous and difficult industry. The coal wagon and track came to us by way of the John Venezia Family, underscoring the worth of many donations the Society receives on which to build its displays.

Arthur Armour Room
The purpose of the Arthur Armour Room is to document and preserve the Arthur Armour Hand Wrought Aluminum business that existed in Grove City from 1933-1976. The Arthur Armour Room features many plates, original drawings, molds and tools and the original forge used by Arthur Armour and his employees. Grove City is famous for the development of hand wrought aluminum decorative products. In addition to the Arthur Armour Room we also have the adjoining John Sample Decorative Aluminum Heritage Center which features the history and aluminum products of seven local artisans.


Also while visiting:
Original home to 13 sleeping rooms, two toilet rooms, a tub room, and a shower room, the second floor, which is handicap accessible, now houses rooms designed to serve specific topics of community interest. As we receive new accessions, these rooms are always changing and will never be complete. Join the journey…
